Friday, May 15, 2009

Physical Therapy

I had my first PT appointment yesterday with Lance Harriman of Potrero Physical Therapy in San Francisco. The comfort zone with whom you work is very important to me. Questions like, do they know the life style that I come from (as an athlete) and will this be the most direct approach to a full recovery?
I have known Lance for close to 10 yrs if not more. Wow how time flies! We met at Mav's, as he was one of the surfers from SF that made the trek down the coast to surf Mavericks. He surfs really well at Ocean Beach, SF, and if you can do that, the transition to Mavericks can be a good one if you can embrace twice the mass and intensity of the wave.
Lance was able to make that transition as has become one of the really solid guys in the water on even the biggest of days.
With that said, working with Lance will be a pleasure, he knows exactly where I want to go and the performance demands that I am going to expect out of my body.
I have a list of exercises that we worked out yesterday that will lay the foundation for the more advanced PT down the road as I get stronger.
Looking out at the ocean from the house, it is not so hard to put the time into exercises, knowing the waves will be small all summer. I will be ready for the first winter swell that hits.
Off to work I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment